Sunday, December 30, 2012

Ring out the Old, Ring in the...Bacteria?

A friend and I have been worrying, lately. I mean really worrying. We're very flexible. We don't care what the topic is; we can feel anxious about anything. Luckily, we can be a reality check for each other. My friend can say, "That's a crazy worry, isn't it? That's not actually going to happen...?" And I can say, "Yes." She does the same for me.

During one such reality check, a few days ago, I found myself saying, "All the evidence I have points to things going well. But I have no definitive proof of that." Even in the midst of my anxiety, I realized how ridiculous those thoughts are. What we think of as "proof" is, in many cases, an interpretation. Not always, of course, but often enough, it's how we see the evidence as much as what it is. My friend suggested we try something: for the next two hours, we'd frame everything--every thought, every anxious worry, every hairball the cats threw up, anything that happened--positively. We  began by believing we could do that, no problem.

It worked. It worked so well, I decided to extend the two-hour trial period and make it a new year's resolution: practice optimism.

I started my practice with yogurt. I've wanted to try making yogurt at home for a long, long time, but occasional bouts of quasi-germaphobia cause me to forgo most home-fermentation projects. Leave milk unrefrigerated? For the express purpose of growing bacteria? What if mine grows the wrong kind of bacteria? What if it grows a special, deadly kind of bacteria, which nobody's warned yogurt-makers about because these bacteria are unique to my house and very new in the world (maybe they've only just begun mutating and multiplying on my counter tops)? And then I feed the deadly-bacteria yogurt to ten friends, and...

The positive outlook here is, of course, why would yogurt grow the wrong kind of bacteria when there is a time-tested procedure to make the right ones grow? Yogurt-making is easy. You scald some milk, let it cool to "just warm" (the technical term for 110-115*F), thoroughly mix in some already-made yogurt, and let the stuff incubate in a warm place for four to twelve hours. People do this every day, all over the world, no problem. Having mostly adopted this outlook, I decided to try making my own yogurt, if for no other reason that as a culinary form of my new year's resolution.

It worked. I admit, I'm still working with the thought that it's not going to kill me, but it's delicious. (I flavored the yogurt with fresh bay leaves.)




Since the word "yogurt" comes from a Turkish verb (meaning "to thicken"), I had to turn to Mozart's Piano Concerto in A Major (Alla Turca). Here is Glenn Gould making the "Turkish March" sound much more march-like than usual.

But Mozart is good for optimism, too. He was profoundly optimistic, if I'm remembering his biography correctly. He--or his music--inspires "Mozart Optimism," the belief, clung to by parents, that listening to Mozart makes children smarter. I'm not a parent, but I did follow a version of this belief when I was in college. I listened to Mozart before each and every exam. Whether this practice made me smarter, I don't know, but it did do something to my mind. It calmed any anxiety I had, and made me feel positive that I'd do well on the exam. It was as much a kind of mental training as studying for the exam was, as much a practice of optimism as making yogurt is.

I have a lot of Mozart phrases in my head. (I took a lot of exams in college.) They're musical mantras I can call to mind when I need to focus, or to calm down. I believe they demonstrate the power of positive thinking, as well as the brilliance of Mozart.



I ate the homemade yogurt with a soup I made by sauteing a generous teaspoon of whole cumin seeds, two fresh bay leaves,  a small onion, diced, and three cloves of garlic, minced, in olive oil over low heat (covered) while I peeled a carrot and two beets, then cut them, and two potatoes, into roughly chickpea-sized dice. I added some sprouted chickpeas to the onion, garlic and spices--I had about a cup of sprouted chickpeas left over from another cooking project--dumped in about four cups of water, turned up the heat to medium and left the soup alone for ten minutes. Then I added the vegetables, a teaspoon of ground coriander, salt, freshly-ground black pepper, and cooked the soup for about another ten minutes. At that point, I added a bunch of flat-leaf parsley, chopped.

This is a very flexible soup recipe that doesn't require any kind of ingredient-measuring. Even when I'm not training my mind to be more positive, I know it will always turn out well. It will for you, too--no problem! You can change the vegetables if there are others you like better, but I think the beets are important. Hot-pink soup does a lot for a positive outlook on gloomy winter days.










7 comments:

PJS said...

There's a pun on "culture" here somewhere.
Seriously, the homemade yogurt sounds delicious, as does the soup.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Yes, it does sound like a march! Wow. I'm really interested in the way different presentations of a tune can radically alter it. There's this traditional Scottish song I always loved, "Donald MacGillavray", which I knew only from a recording by Silly Wizard...

Ahhh, I can reciprocate and give you a video to watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=appBtXoxfb8

Anyway, I was learning the song (which, let me say, was a challenge, working through the Scots vocabulary and the 17th century political references! I love Scots songs). And it hit me: Silly Wizzard's rhythm is highly rock-influenced, not a traditional Scottish rhythm. And playing around with the sound of the syllables, I realized that the song was (in my ethnomusicological opinion) written for a very different meter, basically a jig with lots of Scottish Steps (a reverse of the Irish jig rhythm). Or maybe a strathspey, which is similar but slower. Anyway, I feel my rendition sounds more traditional, but it's decidedly less energetic.

Rock (and now hiphop and techno) have this juggernaut you-will-be-assimilated power; let's be a little contrarian and stick stubbornly to some pre-mass-media culture, I say! I mean, I enjoy a good techno remix of "The Four Seasons" as much as anybody, but once a genre is being used in car commercials, well... I'm not sure how to finish that sentence, but it was going to be poignant. Here, I think Jim Morrison and I are on the same page on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_My_Fire#The_Buick_Incident

Unknown said...

1. Okay, I give up. How did "thickening" lead to Mozart? (Although I was impressed that I have heard this tune before.
2. To Andy: Try substituting Outlandishly negative thoughts for the mild-mannered negative ones. So instead of "What if the plumber comes and lets my cat out into the freezing cold weather where he'll be lost forever," I can try "What if a comet the size of Brazil hits my house and takes house, plumber, cat, and probably me at my gym two miles away?" I'm just sayin.

PJS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Susan, the only problem is that no negative thought is so ridiculous that I can't buy into it. So then I'd just cower in mortal terror!

PJS said...

To state the obvious, one reason that people often aren't optimistic about something is the fear of being disappointed. I know that some will say that pessimism becomes a self-fulfillinf prophecy, and I don't think one should go into a job interview, relationship, or creative enterprise thinking "This will fail." However, I know that sometimes I just don't want to get my hopes up about something simply because I don't want the let-down if it doesn't work out. Of course, pessimism is not quite the same thing as worry/anxiety.